First Baptist Church | 414 Pecan Ave| Philadelphia, MS 39350 | fbcphilly.com | October 19, 2020
Seven Biblical Reasons Why Singing Matters
1. When you sing, you obey - Colossians 3:16 Ephesians 5:18-19
2. When you sing, you dig deep roots in the Word - Colossians 3:16 puts singing
and preaching side by side. It is one of the two chief ways in which God's Word dwells in us richly. It impacts our theology and faith in ways that we
may not even be aware. For example, Baptist used to hold to Calvin's theology on salvation. However, while pastors were preaching predestination
in many of our pulpits, congregations were singing Charles Wesley hymns about free grace.
3. When you sing, you build up others - Ephesians 5:19 Colossians 3:13-16 Psalm 105:1-2
- When I was a student at William Carey we were required to take a class called Worship Evangelism. We studied how true worship
is evangelistic. Souls are brought to the Lord when God's church worships.
4. When you sing, you make war. Singing is one of the Christians best weapons against sin
and all the enemies of the soul. (Ephesians 5:16-19) It is exceedingly difficult to lie, be greedy or to look at something inappropriate when we are
"singing and making melody to the Lord with our hearts and voices".
5. When you sing, you are spiritually strengthened. Where do you think all those Black
Spirituals came from? Acts 16 Even in suffering we sing!!!!!
A persecuted pastor in a communist country testified..."When we were in prison, we sang almost every day
because Christ was alive in us...they put chains on our hands and feet. They chained us to add to our grief. Yet we discovered that chains are
splendid musical instruments! When we clanged them together in rhythm, we could sing, 'This is the day (clink, clank), this is the day (clink, clank),
which the Lord has made (clink, clank), which the Lord has made (clink, clank)." (persecutionblog.com)
6. When you sing, you walk a God-designed pathway to joy Psalm 51:11 Psalm 9:2 Psalm
59:16, 63:7 James 5:13
7. When you sing, you glorify God - Colossians 3 Ephesians 5 Revelation 7:9-10
Inspired by an article written by Author and Pastor Tom Olson
Everyone is invited to participate in this year's Carol-Okie night at FBC coming up
November 22. We need soloist, duets, skits, etc. If you would like to join in this effort, please let us know by contacted the church office. We need
Teams for this Week
Please notify the music office if you have a conflict